I. Love. Sylvan Esso.
And, in true hipster fashion, I've loved them before they were popular. Before "Radio". Before they were playing major festivals EV-RY-WHERE. I love them. Now, not to ignore Amelia and her amazing voice, lyrics, and dance moves, Nick Sanborn's production is absolutely incredible. He makes electronic 'instruments' (programming) sound natural and human. I want to pick up a tiny version of him and place him in my brain so that when I write, he can actually write the tunes. So, here's my Nick Sanborn research so far:
Sylvan Esso: What's In My Bag
- Hiss Golden Messendger
- Clark* (this was my personal favorite of Nick's Picks)
- Invention of Animals (my LEAST favorite, but cool to know that he's into this)
- Madvillain Instrumentals (Accordion - his "favorite beat, of all the beats") - This is actually sampled from a Daedelus track entitled "Experience"
- Prefuse 73
- Also mentions Bjork's album "Vespertine"
Sylvan Esso Talks Tour Music & Their Influences on KEXP
Influences they discuss:
- Blanko Basnet
- Soul Coughing (Amelia's favorite band)
- Mark De Gli Antoni (keyboard and sampling for Soul Coughing)
- Blake Mills
- Wye Oak
- Tune Yards
Sylvan Esso Interviews (some good, some meh)
Then I found.......... Du nuhnuh nuh:
Sound + Process Interview: https://soundcloud.com/sound-and-process/nssap. This discusses just about anything you could want; Nick's background, influences, rig, etc., etc.
"Everytime I looked at an option, all I could think was what that thing couldn't do. And I just realized, that's really shi**y way to live your life."
- Akai APC 40
- Teenage Engineering OP-1
- Moog Minotaur
More Rig: ("stuff that isn't tied to the clock")
Used with Made of Oak
- Micro Granny (http://www.bastl-instruments.com/instruments/microgranny/)
- Borderlands (iPad app - granular synth)
- KTGranulator (AU plug-in)
"If it working is what the person on stage is most concerned about, then that's the most boring thing ever."
Which Led Me to Lines (monome forum): https://llllllll.co/
Sound + Process pulls all of their interviews from the contributors and artists on this forum.
Here's a sample by sample/theme by theme breakdown in the NY Times about their single "Radio": https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/26/arts/music/sylvan-esso-radio.html?_r=0
- For you purists out there, here is Sylvan Esso acoustic on Noisey.
- A full band version with NPR and the Echo Mountain Sessions here.
- A cover of "Everything is Free" which also appears on a collaboration EP with Flock of Dimes. (unfortunately the live take was removed...)
- And here's them in the Moog Sound Lab, just because I love this concert series.
Nick and his friends' Other Projects:
- Chris Rosenau - Collections of Colonies of Bees
- Made of Oak
- Cedar AV
- He Can Jog
So, with all this Nick Sanborn love, maybe we'll hang out. Maybe we'll be best friends and wear Chewbacca masks together. Who knows - so many possibilities.